Here's the skinny:
- First edit your .bashrc file that Vidahost puts in the root folder and make sure the PHP alias is pointing to the CLI version of the PHP release you are using. For Drupal 7 and 8, PHP 5.6 seems to be fine:
- Remove any aliases to PHP in the file and add the following:
- CTRL + x to save and exit the file
- Type source .bashrc to reload your Bash file and set up the alias.
- Install Composer in your root folder
curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php
- Leave files where they are (leaves lots of files in root, but park that OCD for a change).
nano .bash_profileto add an alias:
alias composer="'/usr/bin/php-5.6-cli' ~/composer.phar"
- This adds an alias to the PHP 5.6 CLI location on Vidahost - may well work for other hosts too.
- Save your file (ctrl-X) then run your Bash file with source .bash_profile
- Get Drush (version 8 works with Drupal 6, 7 & 8)
composer global require drush/drush:8.x
- Update your .bash_profile with another alias
- Reload Bash file:
drushto see if things are working.
Fame and fortune await (etc).